This weekend ,I had special request from my Husband for Lamb Korma, one of his favorite indian curry so far.
There are different style of korma as you move from region to region in India and Pakistan .
I cook it in different styles too ,depending on occasions, but most commonly cooked in my kitchen is this recipe ,easier than traditional recipes and great to taste!
Preparation Time: 20 min Cooking time : 45 -60 minutes
Serves- 2 people
Lamb/Mutton 200-250 grams
1 big onion ( finely chopped or paste )
Fresh Ginger and Garlic chopped (3-4 cloves ,chopped ginger should be same amount as garlic)
Green chillies 1 piece (sliced) ,Depending on hotness of chili
Yogurt 1 cup,
Concentrate Tomato paste 2 Tablespoon.
Salt 1 tablespoon
Cumin Powder ½ teaspoon
Turmeric ½ teaspoon
Chili Powder ( 1/4 teaspoon) Depends on your spice level.You can add more if you like.
Garam masala ½ teaspoon
Coriander powder 1 teaspoon.
Cumin Seeds,(one teaspoon)
Cinnamon Stick(one small piece,half an inch)
Oil – 2 tablespoon
Garam Masala and chopped coriander leaves for Garnishing
- Grind onion,ginger garlic as a paste or finely chopped using chopper.
- slit chilli into long 4 pieces.
- In a wok/pan heat oil and add whole spices first,
- Let them splutter them for a minute or less.
- Add the onion and ginger garlic paste with chilli pieces.
- fry till the onions become light brown.
- Add all the powdered spices now, and fry for a minute,
- add now Lamb pieces. Sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Now tomato paste and salt. Saute for 5 minutes till oil start separating a bit from curry.
- Put the lid on and cook it on low flame for 10-15 minutes. Check in between if its not getting stuck to bottom of pan.
- Add yogurt now and stir, put the lid on for another 10 minutes.
- (You can check now, if lamb pieces are soft enough for you to eat, Some people like them too soft, so they add a little water 50 ml and cook for another 10-15 mins or until they come up really soft as per their liking)
- Add garam masala and some chopped coriander leaves for garnishing .
- Serve hot with chapati or naan or rice
——-> Watch the video
Tip : ( If you don’t have whole spices like clove and peppercorns ,cardamoms, you can add one teaspoon full of garam masala along with spices at step 7 and omit the step 3 n 4 )